La Yunta 2020 Torrontés
- The Spanish words, “La Yunta” signify a pair pulling together for a common cause. This pioneering project was created in 2001 by Elixir Wine Group founder/President, Kirk Ermisch as a way of showing the world the excellence and crisp, lively balance of the Torrontés grape.
- Because of the frequent migration of Galician workers from Spain to Argentina, wine historians used to believe that Torrontés was originally from Spain. But recent DNA studies have concluded that the Torrontés in Argentina today is not related to the variety in Spain.
- La Yunta Torrontés is a 100% Torrontés Riojana from the third largest Argentine grape growing region of La Rioja. Located 7 hours drive north of Mendoza, La Rioja is a semi-arid, high plateau area known for its ability to produce quality Torrontés with a fine balance between bright citrus notes, stone fruit, and floral aromatics.
ABOUT THE WINE
- The Torrontés grape was first brought to Argentina in the late 1800’s by Spanish immigrants.
- While most Argentine Torrontés is produced in La Salta, we prefer it from La Rioja.
- The region’s more moderate climate produces a Torrontés that is much more “focused” on the palate and considerably drier than most.
- Careful vineyard management and native yeast fermentation make this Torrontés with Terroir!
Vintage: 2020 | Wine Type: White Wine
Varietal: 100% Torrontés
Origin: Argentina | Appellation: Valle de Famatina, La Rioja
Elaboration: Pick at varying degrees Brix and fermented separately and then blended. Native yeast fermentation. 5% of the wine was aged in French oak to give it a wider palate. 45 year old vineyard.
Winemaker: Ermisch and Guillermo Heras
Notably aromatic of green melon and white peach. It has balanced citrus flavor with a touch of French oak to provide a crisp yet lingering finish. Wonderful as an aperitif or as an accompaniment to seafood or poultry.
“A restrained kind of Torrontes, closer to a Riesling than a Muscat, with citric aromas and flavors. It has an herbaceous side, and is quite focused and fresh, with a subtle floral side and an off-dry finish. An impressive Torrontes at a great price.” – Wine Advocate
Production: 10,000 cases | Alcohol: 12.73% | TA: 7.91 g/l | Residual Sugar: 4.0 g/l | pH: 3.52
PRESS & POINTS
2020 – 96 Points, WineX
2018 – 97 Points, WineX
2012 – 88 Points, Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate
2012 – “Great Value,” Wine & Spirits
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.