Guerrieri Rizzardi 2021 Valpolicella DOP Classico
- Guerrieri-Rizzardi, the historic house in Veneto, dates back to the unification of two ancient estates in 1913, when Carlo Rizzardi from Valpolicella, married Guiseppina Guerrieri of Bardolino.
- The new winery is completely solar powered, combining the best that technology offers in a carbon neutral way with vineyards that have been in the family for centuries.
- With the energy of the new younger generation in the family, Guerrieri-Rizzardi has experienced a renaissance of sorts over the last twenty years and is known throughout Europe as one of the finest, most classical producers in the region, with wines built on tension and “cut.”
ABOUT THE WINE
- “Classico” designated Valpolicella has been the exception rather than the norm since the region’s massive expansion in the 1970’s, with all vineyards approved for the zone situated with hillside exposure.
- Sourced from three “cru” vineyards (Pojega, Calcarole, and the monopole of Roverti) – This is a level of provenance unheard of for the price.
- Made in a timeless style that is hard to find nowadays – This bottling has always been about balance, with bright fruit and crunchy acid.
Vintage: 2021 | Wine Type: Red Wine
Varietal: 70% Corvina & Corvinone, 10% Rondinella, 10% Croatina, and 10% Merlot
Origin: Italy | Appellation: Valpolicella Classico DOP
Elaboration: In the winery in Negar, the alcoholic fermentation and maceration of de-stemmed grapes is carried out over usually 10 days at temperature of 25°C. Kept in stainless steel 12 months before bottling.
Winemaker: Giuseppe Rizzardi
In many ways, this tastes and feels more akin to a “superiore” even though there is no oak used. There is depth and structure with clearly defined, very pure, dark fruit. Ready now, this will develop nicely over the coming months. Pair with meat sauce pasta, roast meat, veal with tuna sauce, spinach soufflé, salami, cold pork meats, and steak tartar.
Production: 40,000 bottles | Alcohol: 13% | TA: 5.21 g/l | Residual Sugar: 0.8 g/l | pH: 3.52
PRESS & POINTS
2021 – 91 Points & Silver Medal, International Wine Challenge 2022
2021 – 90 Points, Falstaff
2020 – 90 Points, Decanter
2019 – 90 Points, James Suckling
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.