G. Rizzardi "Calcarole" Amarone DOCG 2013
- Guerrieri-Rizzardi, the historic house in Veneto, dates back to the unification of two ancient estates in 1913, when Carlo Rizzardi from Valpolicella, married Guiseppina Guerrieri of Bardolino.
- The new winery is completely solar powered, combining the best that technology offers in a carbon neutral way with vineyards that have been in the family for centuries.
- With the energy of the new younger generation in the family, Guerrieri-Rizzardi has experienced a renaissance of sorts over the last twenty years and is known throughout Europe as one of the finest, most classical producers in the region, with wines built on tension and “cut.”
ABOUT THE WINE
- Calcarole, basically a giant limestone rock with vines atop it, is a “cru” above the Villa di Rovereti in the heart of Negrar in the Valpolicella Classico Area – It is an unusually warm site for the region, with southwestern exposure, and unquestionably one of the most revered vineyards in the DOC.
- This is such an unusually warm site for the region that Barbera and Sangiovese thrive here, and they contribute needed freshness to the finished wine.
- The 2009 vintage of this was the first Amarone to be awarded “Best Wine of the Year” by Gambero Rosso, which is a big deal and the Italian cultural equivalent here of a film winning “Best Picture.”
- Grapes were dried at the winery for 3.5 months in small boxes (6-8 bunches per box), and the wine is cellared three years post fermentation in a combination of new and used large barrels (mostly used).
- Many producers craft their Amarone to be “meditative,” i.e. something to drink and think about after dinner – Rizzardi crafts this Amarone as something to enjoy with dinner.
- “Tre Bicchieri,” Gambero Rosso for the current vintage and for 9 out of the last 11 vintages as well
- The 2011 vintage was the #3 ranked wine out of 166 Amarones tasted in Decanter’s comprehensive tasting in April of 2017.
Vintage: 2013 | Wine Type: Red Wine
Varietal: 60% Corvina / 17% Corvinone / 10% Barbera / 10% Sangiovese / 3% Rondinella
Origin: Italy | Appellation: Valpolicella DOCG
Elaboration: Hand picked. Made from 100% dried grapes, that have been raisened in a drying room for 3.5 months. Long, slow fermentation of one month followed by malolactic fermentation in oak. 12 months in 5 hl oak barrels and then 24 months in 25 hl oak barrels.
Winemaker: Giuseppe Rizzardi
This Calcarole is produced with very fine, pure, dark berried fruit balanced by freshness and vitality.
Production: 1,100 cases (12x750ml) | Alcohol: 16% | TA: 5.54 g/l | Residual Sugar: 9.5 g/l | pH: 3.64 g/l
PRESS & POINTS
2011 – 93 Points, Decanter Magazine
2011 – 94+ Points, Vinous
2011 – 91 Points, Wine Enthusiast
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.