Guerrieri Rizzardi 2018 Soave DOP Classico
- Guerrieri-Rizzardi, the historic house in Veneto, dates back to the unification of two ancient estates in 1913, when Carlo Rizzardi from Valpolicella, married Guiseppina Guerrieri of Bardolino.
- The new winery is completely solar powered, combining the best that technology offers in a carbon neutral way with vineyards that have been in the family for centuries.
- With the energy of the new younger generation in the family, Guerrieri-Rizzardi has experienced a renaissance of sorts over the last twenty years and is known throughout Europe as one of the finest, most classical producers in the region, with wines built on tension and “cut.”
ABOUT THE WINE
- “Classico” designated Soave is a relatively rare thing to find nowadays, representing only 15% of the Soave region’s production – “Classico” designated wines are sourced from the (far superior) original hillside plots that were the zone’s standard prior to the massive/controversial expansion of the DOC in the 1970’s.
- Grapes are sourced from two “cru” vineyards – Costeggiola (limestone soil) and Rocca (volcanic soil).
- The Garanega here is picked when extremely ripe, the Chardonnay is picked early to provide acidic balance, the ancient vine Trebbiano d’Soave lends some heirloom charm.
- Fermented/aged in cement, lees aging provides extra texture.
- While some of Rizzardi’s peers in the top echelon of Soave Classico focus on aromatics, Rizzardi’s Soave has always been about palate detail and mineral character.
Vintage: 2018 | Wine Type: White Wine
Varietal: 75% Garganega, 20% Chardonnay and 5% Trebbiano di Soave
Origin: Italy | Appellation: Soave Classico DOP
Elaboration: All grapes destemmed then follow alcoholic fermentation in cement vats for 10 days at between 15 to 16°C. No malolactic fermentation. Aged several months on lees in cement and stainless steel tanks.
Winemaker: Giuseppe Rizzardi
The estate Soave gives fresh, cool climate fruit on the nose leading into the palate which is light in body, but with good density of fruit. Again cooler citrus and pear fruit and an underlying refreshing mineral character persist on the palate.
Production: 2100 cases | Alcohol: 12.42% | TA: 5.44 g/l | Residual Sugar: 2.4 g/l | pH: 3.29 g/l
PRESS & POINTS
Not yet rated.
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.