Viña Amalia 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Reserva
ABOUT THE PRODUCER
- Originally from Genoa, Italy, the Basso Family has been producing wine since 1922, and in Argentina since 1935. Carlos Basso has been a true pioneer in Uco and is one of the great “gentleman farmers” of the region.
- Since 1996, Basso’s focus has been on two projects: Viña Amalia, the iconic estate in Carrodilla, Uco Valley producing and the “Dos Fincas” (“Two Farms”) wines, born of two distinct vineyards in Uco.
- The style is fresh and aromatic, with Uco’s floral notes and black fruit showcased to beautiful effect. The value is remarkable considering the impeccable sourcing and boutique scale of production.
- The legacy continues: Carlos’ son Adolfo is now directing all day-to-day efforts at the winery and is cut from the same cloth as his father: a wonderfully talented winemaker, an innovator constantly in pursuit of perfecting his craft as well as a kind & gracious soul.
ABOUT THE WINE
- Within Argentina the Basso family has always been known for their excellent Cabernet. With it’s high elevation and Southern location, their vineyard in La Consulta (named Finca La Amalia) produces some of the most interesting Cabernet fruit in the country.
- Two separate pickings one week apart give the wine additional complexity and balance.
Vintage: 2017 | Wine Type: Red Wine
Varietal: Cabernet Sauvignon
Origin: Argentina | Appellation: San Carlos (Altamira), Mendoza
Elaboration: 60% of the wine was aged seven months in French and American oak. Unfined and unfiltered.
Winemaker: Adolfo Basso
Intense red color. Elegant aromas and flavors of red berries, marmalade, baking spices, and earth. Terrific structure, with medium weight tannins and refreshing acidity.
Production: 3,000 cases | Alcohol: 14.0% | TA: 5.22 g/l | Residual Sugar: 1.99 g/l | pH: 3.8
PRESS & POINTS
2013 – 90 Points, WineX
2009 – 90 Points, Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate
2008 – 91 Points, Wine and Spirits Magazine.
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.
You may also like…
Carlos Basso 2019 “Dos Fincas” Cabernet Malbec$14.99 Add to cart
Carlos Basso 2020 “Dos Fincas” Malbec$14.99 Add to cart
Viña Amalia 2019 Malbec Reserva$20.99 Add to cart