Carlos Basso 2019 “Dos Fincas” Cabernet Malbec
ABOUT THE PRODUCER
- Originally from Genoa, Italy, the Basso Family has been producing wine since 1922, and in Argentina since 1935. Carlos Basso has been a true pioneer in Uco and is one of the great “gentleman farmers” of the region.
- Since 1996, Basso’s focus has been on two projects: Viña Amalia, the iconic estate in Carrodilla, Uco Valley producing and the “Dos Fincas” (“Two Farms”) wines, born of two distinct vineyards in Uco.
- The style is fresh and aromatic, with Uco’s floral notes and black fruit showcased to beautiful effect. The value is remarkable considering the impeccable sourcing and boutique scale of production.
- The legacy continues: Carlos’ son Adolfo is now directing all day-to-day efforts at the winery and is cut from the same cloth as his father: a wonderfully talented winemaker, an innovator constantly in pursuit of perfecting his craft as well as a kind & gracious soul.
ABOUT THE WINE
- The use of two separate vineyards in Argentina is a traditional practice to safeguard against the threat of hail. For the Basso family, it also allows them to make a more interesting blend by combining the attributes of two distinct microclimates.
- The dark, powerful fruit from their vineyard in San Carlos, matched with the softer, more nuanced fruit from their vineyard in Tunuyan makes for a memorable wine. A terrific value!
Vintage: 2019 | Wine Type: Red Wine
Varietal: 60% Cabernet Sauvignon / 40% Malbec (Blend)
Origin: Argentina | Appellation: San Carlos (Altamira) and Tunuyán, Mendoza
Elaboration: Fermented and aged in stave studded concrete tanks for 9 months. Unfined and unfiltered.
Winemaker: Adolfo Basso
Excellent quality price ratio. Shows jammy berry aromas backed by plump black berry and strawberry flavors. Solid and flush throughout with surprising softness.
Production: 4,000 cases | Alcohol: 14.0% | TA: 5.18 g/l | Residual Sugar: 1.39 g/l | pH: 3.8
PRESS & POINTS
2017 – 90 Points, WineX
2011 – 90 Points, BTI
2010 – 92 Points, BTI
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.
You may also like…
Carlos Basso 2020 “Dos Fincas” Malbec$14.99 Add to cart
Viña Amalia 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Reserva$20.99 Add to cart
Viña Amalia 2019 Malbec Reserva$20.99 Add to cart