Carlos Basso 2019 “Dos Fincas” Cabernet Malbec
ABOUT THE PRODUCER
- Originally from Genoa, Italy, the Basso Family has been producing wine since 1922, and in Argentina since 1935. Carlos Basso has been a true pioneer in Uco and is one of the great “gentleman farmers” of the region.
- Since 1996, Basso’s focus has been on two projects: Viña Amalia, the iconic estate in Carrodilla, Uco Valley producing and the “Dos Fincas” (“Two Farms”) wines, born of two distinct vineyards in Uco.
- The style is fresh and aromatic, with Uco’s floral notes and black fruit showcased to beautiful effect. The value is remarkable considering the impeccable sourcing and boutique scale of production.
- The legacy continues: Carlos’ son Adolfo is now directing all day-to-day efforts at the winery and is cut from the same cloth as his father: a wonderfully talented winemaker, an innovator constantly in pursuit of perfecting his craft as well as a kind & gracious soul.
ABOUT THE WINE
- The use of two separate vineyards in Argentina is a traditional practice to safeguard against the threat of hail. For the Basso family, it also allows them to make a more interesting blend by combining the attributes of two distinct microclimates.
- The dark, powerful fruit from their vineyard in San Carlos, matched with the softer, more nuanced fruit from their vineyard in Tunuyan makes for a memorable wine. A terrific value!
Vintage: 2019 | Wine Type: Red Wine
Varietal: 60% Cabernet Sauvignon / 40% Malbec (Blend)
Origin: Argentina | Appellation: San Carlos (Altamira) and Tunuyán, Mendoza
Elaboration: Fermented and aged in stave studded concrete tanks for 9 months. Unfined and unfiltered.
Winemaker: Adolfo Basso
Excellent quality price ratio. Shows jammy berry aromas backed by plump black berry and strawberry flavors. Solid and flush throughout with surprising softness.
Production: 4,000 cases | Alcohol: 14.0% | TA: 5.18 g/l | Residual Sugar: 1.39 g/l | pH: 3.8
PRESS & POINTS
2017 – 90 Points, WineX
2011 – 90 Points, BTI
2010 – 92 Points, BTI
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.