Carlos Basso 2020 “Dos Fincas” Malbec
ABOUT THE PRODUCER
- Originally from Genoa, Italy, the Basso Family has been producing wine since 1922, and in Argentina since 1935. Carlos Basso has been a true pioneer in Uco and is one of the great “gentleman farmers” of the region.
- Since 1996, Basso’s focus has been on two projects: Viña Amalia, the iconic estate in Carrodilla, Uco Valley producing and the “Dos Fincas” (“Two Farms”) wines, born of two distinct vineyards in Uco.
- The style is fresh and aromatic, with Uco’s floral notes and black fruit showcased to beautiful effect. The value is remarkable considering the impeccable sourcing and boutique scale of production.
- The legacy continues: Carlos’ son Adolfo is now directing all day-to-day efforts at the winery and is cut from the same cloth as his father: a wonderfully talented winemaker, an innovator constantly in pursuit of perfecting his craft as well as a kind & gracious soul.
ABOUT THE WINE
- The use of two seperate vineyards allows for the combination of attributes of two distinct microclimates and soils.
- The dark, powerful fruit from their vineyard in San Carlos, matched with the softer, more nuanced fruit from their vineyard in Tunuyan, makes for a memorable wine.
Vintage: 2020 | Wine Type: Red Wine
Varietal: 100% Malbec
Origin: Argentina | Appellation: San Carlos (Altamira) and Tunuyán, Mendoza
Elaboration: Fermented in stainless steel tanks between 24 and 26C for 13 days. Maceration with skins follows for 5 more days. After pressing, natural malolcatic fermentation takes place and the wine is racked twice. 30% is aged in oak for 3 months.
Winemaker: Adolfo Basso
Vibrant deep ruby color. Remarkable aromas and flavors of plums, blackberry, and blueberry jam. Soft tannins and balanced acidity result in a lovely finish.
Production: 2000 cases | Alcohol: 15.1% | TA: 4.91 g/l | Residual Sugar: 2.65 g/l | pH: 3.7
PRESS & POINTS
2020 – “Best Buy”, Wine Enthusiast
2018 – 97 Points, WineX
2010 – 93 Points, Beverage Tasting Institute
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.