Carlos Basso 2018 "Dos Fincas" Malbec
ABOUT THE PRODUCER
- Originally from Genoa, Italy, the Basso Family has been producing wine since 1922, and in Argentina since 1935. Carlos Basso has been a true pioneer in Uco and is one of the great “gentleman farmers” of the region.
- Since 1996, Basso’s focus has been on two projects: Viña Amalia, the iconic estate in Carrodilla, Uco Valley producing and the “Dos Fincas” (“Two Farms”) wines, born of two distinct vineyards in Uco.
- The style is fresh and aromatic, with Uco’s floral notes and black fruit showcased to beautiful effect. The value is remarkable considering the impeccable sourcing and boutique scale of production.
- The legacy continues: Carlos’ son Adolfo is now directing all day-to-day efforts at the winery and is cut from the same cloth as his father: a wonderfully talented winemaker, an innovator constantly in pursuit of perfecting his craft as well as a kind & gracious soul.
ABOUT THE WINE
- The use of two separate vineyards in Argentina is a traditional practice to safeguard against the threat of hail. For the Basso family, it also allows them to make a more interesting blend by combining the attributes of two distinct microclimates.
- The dark, powerful fruit from their vineyard in San Carlos, matched with the softer, more nuanced fruit from their vineyard in Tunuyan, makes for a memorable wine.
Vintage: 2018 | Wine Type: Red Wine
Origin: Argentina | Appellation: San Carlos (Altamira) and Tunuyán, Mendoza
Elaboration: Unfined and unfiltered
Winemaker: Adolfo Basso
Inky purple in color, with classic Malbec aromatics of dark plum, blackberry, and blueberry. More layers of saturated berry fruit flavors and notes of cocoa fill out the palate, and the wine finishes incredibly soft considering its young age.
Production: 2000 cases | Alcohol: 14.0% | TA: 5.1 g/l | Residual Sugar: 1.76 g/l | pH: 3.8
PRESS & POINTS
2012 – 89 Points “Best Buy” “Highly Recommended” – Beverage Tasting Institute
2011 – 88 Points, Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate
2010 – 93 Points, Beverage Tasting Institute
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.