Riccitelli "Hey Malbec" 2019
- Matías Riccitelli started his boutique winery in 2009, located in Las Compuertas at 1100 meters above sea level. It is the highest area of Lujan de Cuyo, and here he tends 20 hectares of ungrafted old vineyards. Matías also works with small, independent growers that own their lands at the bottom of the Andes halfway between 1000 and 1700 meters above sea level – in Gualtallary, Chacayes, Altamira and La Carrera.
- All harvests are conducted by hand and fermentation takes place in small concrete vats and concrete eggs. Purity and delicacy in winemaking are prized by Matías and great care is taken in preserving the fruit’s singularity in order to obtain vibrant wines.
- In 2015 a new project was begun: old vineyards of Semillon, Merlot and Malbec were discovered and reclaimed in Argentinian Patagonia. The vineyards are located in the Rio Negro high valley and were planted in the late 1960’s. The resulting wines are fresh, intensely aromatic and highly balanced.
ABOUT THE WINE
- A meticulous hand made selection is performed prior to vinification.
- 70% of this wine matures inside small concrete tanks, 30% remaining inside French used oak barrels.
- Recommended ageing 4 years.
Vintage: 2019 | Wine Type: Malbec
Varietal: 100% Malbec
Origin: Argentina | Appellation: Lujan de Cuyo, Uco Valley
Elaboration: 80% of the traditional fermentation is performed on controlled temperatures between 25 and 27 degrees Celcius adding 3 daily pumpovers during a maceration’s period of 25 days, 20% remaining fermentation is made with whole clusters obtaining a carbonic maceration.
Winemaker: Matias Riccitelli
Juicy black fruits combine with violets and black pepper, with soft and ripe tannins leading a soft and opulent finish. Lovely on its own or with juicy red meat.
Production: 5000 cases | Alcohol: 14% | TA: g/l | RS: 2.5 g/l | pH: 3.6/5.9
PRESS & POINTS
2018 – 91 Points, Tim Atkin
2017 – 91+ Points, Wine Advocate
2016 – 91 Points, Wine Advocate
2016 – 92 Points, James Suckling
2015 – 92 Points, Tim Atkin
“Unwooded for the first time in 2018, but as full of bounce and blackberry fruit as ever, Hey! combines grapes from Luján and the Uco Valley in a juicy, supple bundle of fun. Sweet and appealing, this is Malbec at its immediate best: the kind of thing that makes you want to pour a glass into a tumbler and put on some of your favourite music with the sound ramped up to 11.”
– Tim Atkin
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.