Martino 2021 Vina Violeta Malbec
ABOUT THE PRODUCER
- The 18.5 acre estate vineyard is situated at 3850 feet above sea level in Agrelo, a sub-district within the Luján de Cuyo appellation of Mendoza. The ungrafted Malbec vines were planted in 1926.
- Stylistically, Fincas Don Martino stands solidly in the old-school camp, with savory aromatics (cigar bands, polished leather, coffee) balancing floral lift.
- Consultant winemaker is Attilio Pagli, a Tuscan winemaking legend who now spends a great deal of time in Mendoza consulting and exploring the full extent of old-vine Malbec’s expression.
ABOUT THE WINE
- This is without question one of our favorite Malbec bottlings in terms of authenticity, character, and depth.
- If you ever wanted to know what Agrelo Malbec tastes like at its best, let this be your lesson. Rarely do we come across a wine that communicates “place” as this does. Brilliant color, wild aromatics, rich mid-palate, incredible texture, this has it all.
Vintage: 2021 | Wine Type: Red Wine
Origin: Argentina | Appellation: Luján de Cuyo (Agrelo), Mendoza
Elaboration: Classic fermentation with prolonged maceration between 82-86 degrees Fahrenheit. Aged 12 months in French oak. Unfined and unfiltered.
Winemaker: Attilio Pagli & Sergio Montiel
Deep ruby red color with some bluish highlights. Aromas of red fruits, such as sweet plums combined with hints of vanilla and chocolate. Slightly spicy. Mouthfeel is long and gentle with soft tannins which finish in a lingering, rich aftertaste.
Production: 4,200 cases | Alcohol: 14.0% | TA: 5.36 | Residual Sugar: 2.39 | pH: 3.6
PRESS & POINTS
2017 – 91 Points, WineX
2013 – 17/20 Jancis Robinson
2010 – 91 Points, Wine & Spirits
2009 – 91 Points, Wine Enthusiast
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.