Elqui 2016 Carmenere Reserva
ABOUT THE PRODUCER
- The transversal Elqui Valley borders the Pacific Ocean to the West, the Atacama Desert to the North, and the Andes Mountains to the East. While it sits closer to the equator than any other fine wine region in Chile, evening winds blast through this valley 365 days a year bringing summer nighttime temperatures to as low as 40 degrees and creating electric natural acidity in the region’s grapes.
- Danish born and raised Steffan Jorgensen (previously Head Winemaker at Bergevin Lane in Walla Walla) and his wife Pamela Nunez (native to Chile and an experienced winemaker with stints across Chile’s top properties) make small lot varietal wines and blends from 20 acres of estate fruit planted in four separate vineyard sites.
- All wines are made with special attention to their mineral and earthy aspects and combine with Steffan’s style that delivers a broad/voluptuous style with deep acidity.
ABOUT THE WINE
- Maiten Vineyard is Steffan Jorgensen’s principal vineyard and cool in temperature – A rocky, sandy, ancient riverbed sitting 25 miles inland from the Pacific Ocean. 85% of the grapes in this wine come from Maiten.
- The remainder of the grapes in this wine come from the nearly impossible to farm El Tambo Vineyard – One of the more intense vineyard sites you’ll find in Chile. Carmenere grapes in El Tambo are harvested in mid-June and are literally the last wine grapes harvested in all of Chile, picked after all of the leaves have fallen to the ground. Steffan calls this his favorite site for Carmenere Chile and he feels lucky to own it.
Vintage: 2016 | Wine Type: Red Wine
Varietal: 100% Carmenere
Origin: Chile | Appellation: Elqui Valley
Elaboration: Very long maturation period in the vineyards due to very cool nights which makes for an oscillation (day/night swings) of nearly 40F. Fermentation takes places in stainless steel tanks with temperature controlled jackets to ensure certain temps are not exceeded. Very important to maintain fresh fruit characters in finished wines. Fermentation takes approx. 12-14 days with a total skin contact time of 3-4 weeks depending on lots.
Conservation: 100 % Barrel aged with a mix of New, 1st and 2nd use French, American and Hungarian oak barrels for 24 months.
Winemaker: Steffan Jorgensen
Aromas of black plum, urfa pepper, and spring flowers. Round, silky palate, with more black fruit, cinnamon, and baking spice. Finishes long and spicy.
Production: 705 cases | Alcohol: 14.9% | TA: 5.2 g/l | Residual Sugar: <2 g/l | pH: 3.74
PRESS & POINTS
2013 – 90 points, Wine Advocate
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.