Elqui 2020 Malbec Reserva
ABOUT THE PRODUCER
- The transversal Elqui Valley borders the Pacific Ocean to the West, the Atacama Desert to the North, and the Andes Mountains to the East. While it sits closer to the equator than any other fine wine region in Chile, evening winds blast through this valley 365 days a year bringing summer nighttime temperatures to as low as 40 degrees and creating electric natural acidity in the region’s grapes.
- Danish born and raised Steffan Jorgensen (previously Head Winemaker at Bergevin Lane in Walla Walla) and his wife Pamela Nunez (native to Chile and an experienced winemaker with stints across Chile’s top properties) make small lot varietal wines and blends from 20 acres of estate fruit planted in four separate vineyard sites.
- All wines are made with special attention to their mineral and earthy aspects and combine with Steffan’s style that delivers a broad/voluptuous style with deep acidity.
ABOUT THE WINE
- Owner and winemaker, Steffan Jorgensen’s stunningly beautiful 7 acre parcel of Peralillo Vineyard sits on a moderate slope just below the tallest mountain in the region. This warm site brings a ripeness and a floral component that you just don’t see from other sites planted to Malbec in Chile.
- Steffan tends to 2.5 ares of vines on this rugged, rocky, nearly impossible to farm 45 degree slope. The site provides minerality and spice to the finished wine.
Vintage: 2020 | Wine Type: Red Wine
Varietal: 100% Malbec
Origin: Chile | Appellation: Elqui Valley
Elaboration: Very long maturation period in the vineyards due to very cool nights which makes for an oscillation (day/night swings) of nearly 40F. Harvested by hand in 20 kg small crates. Fermentation takes places in stainless steel tanks with temperature controlled jackets to ensure certain temps are not exceeded. Very important to maintain fresh fruit characters in finished wines. Fermentation takes approximately 12-14 days with a total skin contact time of 3-4 weeks depending on lots. 100% barrel aged with a mix of new, 1st and 2nd use French, American and Hungarian oak barrels for 24 months.
Winemaker: Steffan Jorgensen
Jammy blackberry and blueberry aromas come with notes of cardamom and Middle Eastern spices. On the palate, herb-infused black fruit flavors and unusually floral for a Malbec. Finishes with nice balance, length and bright acidity.
Production: 1000 cases | Alcohol: 14.8% | TA: g/l | Residual Sugar: g/l | pH:
PRESS & POINTS
Not Yet Rated
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.