Bouza 2018 Tannat Reserva
- Juan and Elisa Bouza established their winery in 2000 by restoring a historic winery originally built in the 1940’s by Numa Pesquera in the outskirts of Montevideo.
- Over the last ten years Bouza has established itself as Uruguay’s most critically acclaimed producer.
- Uruguay’s temperate, Atlantic influenced climate sees four distinct seasons and temperatures rarely exceed 93 degrees.
- Bouza’s Winemaker, Dr. Eduardo Boido, is considered Uruguay’s authority on all things Tannat.
ABOUT THE WINE
- Grapes are sourced from three maritime influenced sites – Melilla, a fairly cool climate site that surrounds the winery; Las Violetas, a warmer, clay driven site about 15 miles north of the winery; and Pan de Azucar, one of the country’s premier coastal vineyards and a site that sits below the world renowned rock formation of the same name, located about an hour east of Montevideo. Vineyard rows in Melilla are uniquely topped with two feet of pink granite from a local quarry to collect and radiate additional heat for their grapes.
- No irrigation – All vines are dry farmed for maximum depth of flavor in the finished wine.
- This is a textbook Uruguayan Tannat with tremendous purity and sense of place, and is the bottling used by most wine educators around the world when teaching students about the category.
Vintage: 2018 | Wine Type: Red Wine
Varietal: 100% Tannat
Origin: Uruguay | Appellation: Canelones
Elaboration: Dry farmed fruit. Hand harvested between February 24th and March 3rd, 2015. Gravity flow winemaking. Aged 13 months in French and American oak. Bottled unfiltered on August 20, 2016.
Winemaker: Dr. Eduardo Boido
Garnet red color with petrol highlights. Very expressive in the nose with black fruits, mulberries, cassis, raisins, over an elegant smoky background. Velvety but marked tannins. Balanced and persistent final bouquet.
Production: 2,645 cases | Alcohol: 15.0% | TA: 3.88 g/l | Residual Sugar: 2.8 g/l | pH: 3.88
PRESS & POINTS
2015 – 91 Points and Editor’s Choice, Wine Enthusiast
2013 – 92 Points, Beverage Testing Institute
2010 – 90 Points, Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.