2019 Dona Matilde Boavida Old Vine Field Blend
- The estate or “quinta” has been in the same family for four generations.
- In his authoritative book, Portugal, Antigo e Moderno, Augusto Leal wrote “the wine of this quinta is very fine, despite its cultivation seeming to be very expensive owing to the steepness of the terrain and its composition of schist rock”.
- Located on the north bank of the Douro River, near Bagaúste dam, the quinta has 28 hectares of top quality vineyards, all classified with the highest ranking by the Douro region register, Letter A. Dona Matilde has traditional old vineyards of the Douro, aged 60 to 80 years old.
ABOUT THE WINE
- The brand name “The good life” was based on a visit of an English group who wrote about their adventure in the old guest book. They’ve said that when they arrived they were skinny and, one week later, they left the Douro very pleased, because of the good food and the great moments enjoying life.
- This wine is a field blend, hand harvested and fermented together, making it an especially interesting and unusual red blend.
Vintage: 2019 | Wine Type: Red Wine
Varietal: Approx. 10% Touriga Nacional, 30% Touriga Franca, 30% Tinta Roriz, 15%Tinta Francisca and 15% Tinto Cão.
Origin: Portugal | Appellation: Douro
Elaboration: Grapes are harvested by hand. Open maceration. Fermentation takes place in stainless steel with daily pump overs.
Winemaker: Joao Pissarra, PhD.
Flavor of dark fruits, a touch of red current and floral notes. A wine with a fine, fruity spicy
palate. Balanced structure with soft tannins.
Production: 1,000 cases | Alcohol: 14.0% | TA: 5.5 g/l | Residual Sugar: .6 g/l | pH: 3.77
PRESS & POINTS
2019 – 92 pts. Decanter,
2019 – 91 pts. James Suckling
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.