Portal del Priorat 2016 Luno
- One of Catalonia’s emerging superstars, Alfredo Arribas was a nationally renowned architect before shifting his focus to farming and winemaking fifteen years ago, and is known for making some of the most elegant wines in Priorat and Montsant – Wines that are massive in terms of flavor and complexity, but diminutive in terms of alcohol levels and extraction…The opposite of the over ripe, over wooded Priorats of old.
- Alfredo Arribas’ estate is composed of about 150 acres in Priorat and 50 acres in southern Montsant, many of these vines are on original rootstock and pushing 100 years in age.
- Farming is organic/biodynamic, elevage is similarly natural, with native yeast, short macerations, minimal S02, and a “less is more” ethos.
ABOUT THE WINE
- Ediciones I Limitadas is a project Alfredo Arribas began with some restauranteur friends in Barcelona with the intention of producing savory but fresh wines for use at their restaurants by-the-glass. Luno captured our attention immediately and we requested a parcel of each year’s production be made available for the US.
- The wine is sourced from Alfredo’s holdings in the southern portion of Montsant.
- All farming and winemaking for Luno follow the principles of biodynamics, which are governed by the phases of the moon – This inspired the name and label for the wine.
Vintage: 2016 | Wine Type: Red Wine
Varietal: Grenache, Carignan, Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon
Origin: Spain | Appellation: Montsant
Elaboration: Hand picked and fermented separately then aged for eight months in used American and French oak barrels.
Winemaker: Alfredo Arribas
Notes of ripe dark fruits, blackberries and cherries lead to a balanced and supple wine that finishes smooth on the palate.
Production: 1,000 cases | Alcohol: 14.0% | TA: 5.2 g/l | Residual Sugar: .25 g/l | pH:
PRESS & POINTS
2014 – 90 Points, Guia Penin
2013 – 91 Points Gold Medal and Best Buy, Tastings.com
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.