Opta 2017 Tinto
- Nuno Cancela de Abreu is a person whom you could call the “Elder Statesman” of winemaking in Central Portugal and he carries the torch as the fourth generation of his family to operate their estate in the foggy, cool climate hills of the Dão that sit above the village of Mortagua.
- Nuno is responsible for bringing back the white varietal of Arinto through research, trial and clonal selection – Arinto is a grape that is now celebrated as the most complex and ageworthy indigenous white in the country.
- With vineyard holdings in Alentejo now as well, Nuno splits his time between Mortagua and Lisbon each week and produces seven brands under the family name.
ABOUT THE WINE
- This medium-bodied blend is a clean/well-made version of the typical reds that grace Portuguese dinner tables from Porto down to Lisbon.
- Along with the usual suspects of Tinta Roriz and Touriga Nacional this wine is composed of the lesser known grape Alfrocheiro, an heirloom varietal only found in the Dao and one that brings real depth to this blend.
Vintage: 2017 | Wine Type: Red Wine
Varietal: Touriga Nacional, Alfrocheiro, Tinta Roriz
Origin: Portugal | Appellation: Dao
Elaboration: Hand picked in small bins. Stainless steel fermentation. Neutral Oak
Winemaker: Nuno Cancela de Abreu
“With minimal time in neutral oak barrels, this wine presents the delicate, pretty side of Dao. Its tart fruit flavors bring to mind muddled cherries and sarsaparilla, with spicy notes of pink peppercorn and fennel. A floral, mountain-red, this has the lightness to pair with fish in a red wine sauce.” – Wine & Spirits
Production: 1500 cases | Alcohol: 13% | TA: 5.2 g/l | Residual Sugar: g/l | pH: 3.7
PRESS & POINTS
2017 – 91 Points, Decanter
2015 – 90 Points, Andreas Larsson
2015 – 92 Points, WineX
2015 – Best Buy, Wine Enthusiast
2014 – 91 Points, Wine & Spirits
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.