Opta 2019 Branco
- Nuno Cancela de Abreu is a person whom you could call the “Elder Statesman” of winemaking in Central Portugal and he carries the torch as the fourth generation of his family to operate their estate in the foggy, cool climate hills of the Dão that sit above the village of Mortagua.
- Nuno is responsible for bringing back the white varietal of Arinto through research, trial and clonal selection – Arinto is a grape that is now celebrated as the most complex and ageworthy indigenous white in the country.
- With vineyard holdings in Alentejo now as well, Nuno splits his time between Mortagua and Lisbon each week and produces seven brands under the family name.
ABOUT THE WINE
- This fresh, crisp release blew us away upon tasting it during our European travels in Spring of 2016 and we think of it as an unbeatable value in the realm of aromatic whites.
- The indigenous grape of Encruzado is the driving force here and the varietal responsible for the floral aromatic lift you get on the nose.
- Malvasia Fina and Cerceal Branco add additional interest and body to the wine.
- While most people still think of Vinho Verde when they think of Portuguese whites, this is an interesting alternative and a style you are seeing served increasingly often in more progressive parts of Portugal.
Vintage: 2019 | Wine Type: White Wine
Varietal: Encruzado, Malvasia Fina, and Cerceal Branco
Origin: Portugal | Appellation: Dao
Elaboration: Hand picked in small bins. Stainless steel fermentation. Unoaked.
Winemaker: Nuno Cancela de Abreu
- Encruzado, Malvasia Fina and Cerceal Branco are the varieties blended here to produce a lovely, light and fresh wine. Described as “Succulent and Vibrant” in the British magazine “The Wine Merchant”, this is an easy drinking dry white that has an accommodating personality and a food friendly profile.
Production: 1500 cases | Alcohol: 12.5% | TA: 5.6 g/l | Residual Sugar: 4.0 g/l | pH: 3.3
PRESS & POINTS
2018 – 90 Points, Wine Enthusiast
2017 – 90 Points, Wine Enthusiast
2016 – 91 Points, WineX
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.