Flaherty 2016 Cauquenes
About the Producer
- The husband/wife team of Ed Flaherty and Jen Hoover traveled to Chile on a kayak trip twenty five years ago and never left
- Over the years Ed has worked as Chief Winemaker at a number of Chile’s most revered properties
- With fruit from Redondo Vineyard in Aconcagua and their own Teque Vineyard in Caquenes, Ed and Jen are making small amounts of some of Chile’s most delicious wines in the garage of their home in Santa Maria
About the Wine
- The Cauquenes blend was first released in 2014 vintage is about half Tempranillo and half Petite Sirah, with a bit of País from the hundred-year-old vines on the property.
- Hailing from the Tequel vineyard, the blend clearly reflects its origins. It is dry-farmed and head-trained and is a true expression of the viticultural traditions of Cauquenes.
- The vineyard is situated 15 kilometers south of Cauquenes in the Maule Region and 42 kilometers from the Pacific Ocean, which provides a cooling influence. The gently rolling hills of the area feature deep red clay soils of granitic origin. The wines from this vineyard features well-structured tannins, wild blackberry and cherry flavors, and lots of earthy spice.
Vintage: 2016 | Wine Type: Red Wine
Varietal: 52% Tempranillo, 39% Petite Syrah, 9% País
Origin: Chile | Appellation: Maule Valley
Elaboration: 100% barrel aged, 18 months American and French Oak, 17% New American Oak
Winemaker: Ed Flaherty
Wild blackberry, cherry, and licorice flavors are beautifully complemented by notes of leather jacket, fresh raspberry, plum, pie spices, and an inky undertone of graphite. This is a wine that will age well, gaining complexity with time in the bottle.
Production: 547 cases | Alcohol: 15% | TA: 5.39 g/l | Residual Sugar: 2.35g/l | pH: 3.71
Press & Points
2016 – 92 Points, Tim Atkin
2016 – 94 Points, James Suckling
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.