Flaherty 2019 Aconcagua Red Blend
About the Producer
- The husband/wife team of Ed Flaherty and Jen Hoover traveled to Chile on a kayak trip twenty five years ago and never left
- Over the years Ed has worked as Chief Winemaker at a number of Chile’s most revered properties
- With fruit from Redondo Vineyard in Aconcagua and their own Teque Vineyard in Caquenes, Ed and Jen are making small amounts of some of Chile’s most
delicious wines in the garage of their home in Santa Maria
About the Wine
- This native rootstock Syrah-based-blend is sourced from Redondo Vineyard in Aconcagua with sits on the southern slopes of the Andes in Panquehue.
- To add complexity, harvesting is spread out over a month (they pick each weekend and this results in a broad array of fruit ripeness levels)
- Contrary to the norm in the region, there is no Saignee bleed on these wines
- Year in and year out one of the most flavorful, silky, and fine textured releases one will find in Chile. We love this wine for the vivid aromatics of ripe peach that it throws off each vintage.
Vintage: 2019 | Wine Type: Red Wine
Varietal: 50% Syrah, 29% Cabernet Sauvignon, 5% Petite Syrah, 4% Tempranillo, 2% Malbec
Origin: Chile | Appellation: Aconcagua Valley
Elaboration: All the grapes were hand harvested and crushed directly into small one-ton open-top fermenters. The fermentations are punched down by hand three times per day. After macerating for a total of 19 days, on average, the wine was basket pressed and then racked to barrel.
The wine was aged 18 months in barrel with one barrel-to-barrel racking. The barrel components included 18% new American, French, and Romanian oak and 82% two and three-year-old French and American oak barrels. The wine was filtered but not fined before being bottled.
Winemaker: Ed Flaherty
This is juicy and smoky, with classical aromas of bacon, violets and tar. The palate is medium-bodied, with polished tannins and very tasty flavors. All the different grapes seem to have integrated quite nicely, and it comes through as quite harmonious and fresh. – Wine Advocate
Production: 1,649 cases | Alcohol: 14.5% | TA: 5.58 g/l | Residual Sugar: 1.8g/l | pH: 3.46
Press & Points
2020 – 91 Points, Tim Atkin
2019 – 91 Points, Tim Atkin
2018 – 90 Points, Tim Atkin
2015 – 92 Points, James Suckling
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.