Fernandez Gomez 2018 Selección Familia Tempranillo
ABOUT THE PRODUCER
- Carlos Fernandez and his brothers produce Tempranillo and Garnacha that is zesty and lively, with tremendous energy and lifted aromatics.
- Bordered by the River Ebro on the South and the towering Cantabria mountains on the North, the Rioja Alavesa region is home to the vineyards owned by family Fernandez Gomez, the majority of which are 80+ years old.
- Located in the Jewish quarter of Labastida, the winery and family home are composed of four houses. In the earth beneath them exists a framework of four different caves dating back to the 1400s, an excellent space for the cellaring of the wines.
ABOUT THE WINE
- This Selección Familia is a blend of grapes from 6 different Tempranillo vineyards owned by the Fernandez Gomez family in the Rioja Alavesa region of D.O. Rioja.
- Ranging from 35-50 years old, these vineyards, all surrounding the hamlet of Labastida, offer different soil types (calcareous, clay, and many sections with rocky, alluvial content) which adds to the complexity and concentration of this Tempranillo.
Vintage: 2018 | Wine Type: Red Wine
Origin: Spain | Appellation: D.O. Rioja
Elaboration: Hand harvested. Aged in second use French and American oak barrels for 12 months with one racking, moved to concrete deposits to blend and marry for one month and then bottled unfined.
Winemaker: Carlos Fernandez
By nature a thinner skinned grape, this Tempranillo is characterized by a crimson red color and masculine, savory aromas and flavors. Light sage and cigar smoke balanced by ripe red fruits and medium plus tannins.
Production: 2,000 cases | Alcohol: 14.1% | TA: |Residual Sugar: | pH:
PRESS & POINTS
93 Points – BTI
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.