Shadowfax 2020 Pinot Noir
About the Producer
- Established in 1998, Shadowfax is a boutique winery located just 30 minutes from Melbourne in the heart of Werribee Park. Dedicated to creating high quality and handcrafted wines, their renowned varieties include Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Pinot Gris, Riesling, and Shiraz as well as a selection of highly limited, single-vineyard wines.
- Chief Winemaker Alister Timms has a strong focus on regionality with the majority of fruit sourced and hand-harvested from vineyards in the Macedon Ranges and Werribee as well as small growers in Geelong. Each and every vineyard has its own distinct characteristics and produces grapes of only the highest quality.
About the Wine
- Vineyards: Little Hampton, Midhill, Big Shed, Straws Lane, Chanters Ridge, Macedon Ranges
- A late and wet spring in the Macedon ranges set small crops. A cool summer and mild spring led to a very long growing season. The high elevation sites led to extra cool nights, helping to retain natural acidity in the grapes. Grapes ripened late in the season with full flavor and phenolic ripeness. Fruit was handpicked in small batches in pristine condition then carefully sorted and destemmed.
- Brooding spice aromas including cardamom, star anise, sandalwood, and citrus blossom. Maraschino cherries and wild berries give lift in the glass as do hints of tangerine.
Vintage: 2020 | Wine Type: Red Wine
Varietal: Pinot Noir
Origin: Australia | Appellation: Macedon Ranges, Victoria
Elaboration: 100% whole berries in small open fermenters. Natural fermentation occurred with daily hand pump overs and limited plunging to extract fine tannins and flavor. After 2 weeks on skins, the wine was pressed then racked into new (30%) and used French Hogs Heads.
Blackberries and spice spill onto the palate. This generous Pinot has breadth and expanse, yet shows poise from seams of grown ripe tannins. There are complexities galore with sandalwood and Campari spice interacting with dark plum fruits. The palate is long and persistent yet light on its feet, bring you back for more. This is a powerful wine and a fine example of cool climate, high altitude Macedon ranges Pinot Noir.
Production: 1,000 cases | Alcohol: 13.2% | TA: 5.6 g/L | Residual Sugar: Nil | pH: 3.65
Press & Points
2019 – 94 Points, The Wine Front
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.