Meneres Porto 20 Year
- Fernando van Zeller owns and operates what is both the largest and the fastest growing independent Port company in Portugal and comes from 14 uninterrupted generations in the Port trade (this is the longest continual run of any family in the region!)
- The company in its current form was created after the family sold Quinta do Noval in the mid-nineties, with the main benefit of this sale being additional funds to facilitate the expansion of estate vineyard holdings and the ability to maintain and expand the deep library stocks the van Zeller’s have long been associated with. It is important to note that the van Zeller family held onto most of their thousands of barrels of aged wine during this sale and today the company holds the deepest and most sought-after stocks of aged tawny in Portugal.
- Originally named after family ancestor Arnaldo Menéres, Menéres is one of four Port brands this independent firm produces and one they purchased to bring back into the family about ten years ago. The house specializes in 20 Year Tawny, 40 Year Tawny, and heirloom Colheitas.
- Menéres is the highest quality line of port the family produces, these wines are classic in style, and we consider Menéres ports the best examples in the world in terms of complexity and character for the money.
ABOUT THE WINE
- Grapes come from the company estates of Quinta do Saião and Quinta de Zom, with 220 acres and 200 acres, respectively.
- Grapes are hand cut, harvested in small baskets and delivered to the Quinta to be sorted and foot trodden without destemming. They are cold macerated for a full day prior to fermentation and then fermented with native yeasts in open top granite lagars under temperature control until about half of the grapes’ natural sugar is consumed.
- At around 100-120 g/l of residual sugar, the fermenting wine is drained off its skins and stems and it is fortified with fine, 150 proof grape brandy from Spain.
- After the harvest, the wine remains in the adega or winery in the Douro, where is is left to settle until the spring of the following year before it is taken to the lodges at Vila Nova de Gaia, next to Porto and near the Atlantic coast to be matured, blended and bottled.
- 20 Year Old Tawny Port is patiently matured for 20 years in seasoned oak casks, blended to obtain the house style and bottled.
Vintage: NV | Wine Type: 20 Years Old Tawny DOC
Varietal: Touriga Franca, Tinta Roriz, Tinta Barroca, Tinto Cao
Origin: Portugal | Appellation: Douro
Elaboration: (See above), Hand picked in small bins. Foot trodden and granite lagar fermentation. Aged in large oak casks 20 years.
Winemaker: Alvaro van Zeller
Cask aging has lent the wine a softened mellow texture with an intense complex nose which complements the appealing raisiny fruit.
Production: 100 cases | Alcohol: 20% | TA: 4.71 g/l | Residual Sugar: 110 g/l | pH: 3.57 | VA: .53
PRESS & POINTS
90 – Tastings.com
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.