Antech 2018 Cuvee Eugénie
About the Producer
- Limoux is the world’s original birthplace of sparkling wine, with the first bubbles produced here in the year 1544, some 150 years before Dom Perignon began making sparkling wine in Champagne.
- Only 24 wineries exist in Limoux and Antech (pronounced “An-tesh”) is by far the region’s most celebrated producer, known for the purity and elegance of the sparkling wines they produce.
- The estate was originally planted to 150 acres six generations ago, and 24 acres have been added over the years. In addition to their estate grapes, for the last 90 years the family has purchased small amounts of fruit from several friends who have plots on the top of the mountain that
sits north of them. These high altitude conditions contribute added freshness to the finished wines.
- Both their Cremant and Blanquette bottlings are aged in bottle for over twice the legal minimum prior to release, and are markedly lower than most of their peers in terms of dosage.
- Strong women have been the driving force behind Antech for the last three generations of the winery and current winemaker Francoise Antech is one of France’s more vocal and gregarious female winemakers.
About the Wine
- Eugenie Limouzy ran the Antech estate after her brother and his fiance were killed in WWI, and lived with current winemaker Francoise Antech until she passed away at 96 years old.
- Chardonnay contributes body plus notes of flowers, honey, and peaches
- Chenin Blanc adds acidity, freshness, and grapefruit flavors
- Mauzac keeps the wine rooted to Limoux and contributes creaminess in the finished texture
Vintage: 2018 | Wine Type: Sparkling
Varietal: 70% Chardonnay, 20% Chenin Blanc, 10% Mauzac
Origin: France | Appellation: Limoux
Elaboration: Entirely handpicked in the morning, cooled and directly pressed and fermented separately in stainless steel. Lot selection of wines, blending and second fermentation in bottle for 18 months in temperature controlled cellars.
Winemaker: Francoise Antech and her winemaking team
This cuvée is to pay homage to Eugénie Limouzy, great aunt of Francoise Antech and pioneering woman winemaker in Limoux. Golden with bright reflections and fine bubble and effervescence. The nose is fine and delicate combining white flowers, toasty notes and honey. The taste is balanced and persistent, displaying both freshness and refinement. It’s and ideal wine for an aperitif, for receptions and weddings.
Production: 5,000 cases | Alcohol: 12% | TA: 3.64 g/l | Dosage: 10 g/l | pH: 3.24
Press & Points
Jancis Robinson: “Good Value. Refreshing…Super clean and long.
2015 – 92 Points, BTI
2015 – 92 Points, Tastings.com
2014 – 94 Points, BTI
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.
You may also like…
Antech 2019 Emotion Rosé$21.99 Add to cart
Antech 2017 Reserve Brut$18.99 Add to cart