- One of Catalonia's emerging superstars, Alfredo Arribas was a nationally renowned architect before shifting his focus to farming and winemaking fifteen
years ago, and is known for making some of the most elegant wines in Priorat and Montsant - Wines that are massive in terms of flavor and complexity,
but diminutive in terms of alcohol levels and extraction…The opposite of the over ripe, over wooded Priorats of old.
- Alfredo Arribas’ estate is composed of about 150 acres in Priorat and 50 acres in southern Montsant, many of these vines are on original rootstock
and pushing 100 years in age.
- Farming is organic/biodynamic, elevage is similarly natural, with native yeast, short macerations, minimal S02, and a “less is more” ethos.
About the Wine
- This is the rarest of Alfredo Arribas' offerings and the purest expression of Carignan one will find in Priorat, fewer than 150 cases are produced
from this tiny parcel of 101 year old vines that sit on El Molar's steepest slope
- Biodynamically farmed and made in Alfredo's signature minimalist style, Tros de Clos crackles with lively acid and intensely pure Carignan fruit
Vintage: 2016 | Wine Type: Red Wine
Varietal: 100% Old Vine Carignan
Origin: Spain | Appellation: Priorat D.O.Q.
Elaboration: Hand harvested from second week of September to first week of October. Fermented and aged in French oak for 12 months.
Winemaker: Alfredo Arribas
It has a gorgeous, intellectual nose that is beautifully defined and elegant, not powerful but mineral-rich and earthy, blossoming with aeration. The palate
is medium-bodied with svelte tannins, pure, unbridled dark cherry and plum fruit intermingling with minerals and slate aromas. A wine that demonstrates
the unbridled greatness of Carignan, a wine that takes you straight to Priorat.
Production: 500 cases | Alcohol: 14.0% | TA: 5.4 g/l | Residual Sugar: |
Press & Points
2015 - 91 Points Wine Enthusiast
2014 - 95 Points Wine & Spirits
2014 - 93 Points Cellar Selection Wine Enthusiast
2009 - 90-94 Points Wine Advocate
2009 - 93 Points Guia Peñin
2009 - 92 Points Steven Tanzer
TECH SHEET PDF
Having trouble finding our wines in your area?
Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine