- One of Catalonia's emerging superstars, Alfredo Arribas was a nationally renowned architect before shifting his focus to farming and winemaking fifteen
years ago, and is known for making some of the most elegant wines in Priorat and Montsant - Wines that are massive in terms of flavor and complexity,
but diminutive in terms of alcohol levels and extraction…The opposite of the over ripe, over wooded Priorats of old.
- Alfredo Arribas’ estate is composed of about 150 acres in Priorat and 50 acres in southern Montsant, many of these vines are on original rootstock
and pushing 100 years in age.
- Farming is organic/biodynamic, elevage is similarly natural, with native yeast, short macerations, minimal S02, and a “less is more” ethos.
About the Wine
- Negre de Negres, translated “Black of Blacks,” takes its name from the cepage of multiple black grape varietals used in the wine, the sum of which
is greater than its parts.
- Deeply fruited Grenache makes up the core here, and the Syrah and Carignan used come from early harvest fruit in the Somni vineyard
- Farming is certified organic and winemaking follows biodynamic practices
Vintage: 2016 | Wine Type: Red Wine
Varietal: 60% old vine Grenache (5 different clones) with 30% Carignan & 10% Syrah
Origin: Spain | Appellation: Priorat D.O.Q.
Elaboration: Hand harvested from second week of September to first week of October. Fermented and aged in French oak for 12 months.
Winemaker: Alfredo Arribas
"Made with organically grown grapes from the slate soils of Clos del Portal vineyard, this is blended from parcels that, due to their exposure, ripen earlier
than those that provide Somni, the firm's top wine. Fruity and approachable, this has lovely purity in its varietal expression of Garnacha (60
percent of the blend) with red fruit and floral notes. The pungent, austere acidity of Carignan (30 percent) supports those generous flavors.
This is a voluptuous, ample red, with a firm backbone." ~Wine & Spirits
Production: 500 cases | Alcohol: 14.0% | TA: 5.4 g/l | Residual Sugar: |
Press & Points
2014 - 93 Points Wine & Spirits
2013 - 92 Points Wine & Spirits
2009 - 90-94 Points Wine Advocate
2009 - 93 Points Guia Peñin
2009 - 92 Points Steven Tanzer
TECH SHEET PDF
Having trouble finding our wines in your area?
Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine