Riccitelli Vino de Finca Sauvignon Blanc 2020
- Matías Riccitelli started his boutique winery in 2009, located in Las Compuertas at 1100 meters above sea level. It is the highest area of Lujan de Cuyo, and here he tends 20 hectares of ungrafted old vineyards. Matías also works with small, independent growers that own their lands at the bottom of the Andes halfway between 1000 and 1700 meters above sea level – in Gualtallary, Chacayes, Altamira and La Carrera.
- All harvests are conducted by hand and fermentation takes place in small concrete vats and concrete eggs. Purity and delicacy in winemaking are prized by Matías and great care is taken in preserving the fruit’s singularity in order to obtain vibrant wines.
- There are several projects under the Riccitelli name. Almost all are single vineyard driven, showcasing special heirloom vineyards, unique terroir and micro climates found in Mendoza and Patagonia.
ABOUT THE WINE
- Located at the heights of La Carrera, Tupungato at 5413 feet above sea level!
- Organically grown. Vines farmed to only yield .46 tons an acre.
- Calcareous/gravel soil located in one of the coolest growing appellations in Mendoza.
Vintage: 2020 | Wine Type: White Wine
Varietal: 100% Sauvignon Blanc
Origin: Argentina | Appellation: La Carrera, Tupungato. Finca Maria Bombal.
Elaboration: Night harvested by hand in small picking boxes. Meticulous selection, cluster by cluster. De-stemmed and macerated on its skins 5 days at low temperatures. Fermented in used French oak barrels with indigenous yeast. Aged in same barrels 8 months before bottling.
Winemaker: Matias Riccitelli
Fresh grass, rue, citric fruits are its main descriptors. It has a marked mineral character. On the palate, it has nerve, intensity and volume.
“The 2020 Vino de la Carrera Finca María Bombal follows the path of freshness and pungency of the previous vintage despite the warmer growing cycle in 2020. It was produced with Sauvignon Blanc from vines at 1,650 meters in altitude in La Carrera, fermented in concrete eggs and bottled unoaked at 12% alcohol and with remarkable acidity and freshness, even if it’s a little mellower than the 2019. The nose is flinty and stony and faintly herbal despite the moderate alcohol and the variety that seems to play a secondary role to the place, which marks the wine with a strong imprint. It’s very tasty, with an almost salty finish.” – Luis Gutierrez, Wine Advocate.
Production: 200 cases | Alcohol: 12% | TA: 8.8 g/l | RS: 1.8 g/l | pH: 3.1
PRESS & POINTS
2016 – 96 Points, Tim Atkin
2016 – 94 Points, Wine Advocate
2016 – 97 Points, Patricio Tapia
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.