Riccitelli Viñedos de Montaña Cabernet Franc 2018
- Matías Riccitelli started his boutique winery in 2009, located in Las Compuertas at 1100 meters above sea level. It is the highest area of Lujan de Cuyo, and here he tends 20 hectares of ungrafted old vineyards. Matías also works with small, independent growers that own their lands at the bottom of the Andes halfway between 1000 and 1700 meters above sea level – in Gualtallary, Chacayes, Altamira and La Carrera.
- All harvests are conducted by hand and fermentation takes place in small concrete vats and concrete eggs. Purity and delicacy in winemaking are prized by Matías and great care is taken in preserving the fruit’s singularity in order to obtain vibrant wines.
- There are several projects under the Riccitelli name. Almost all are single vineyard driven, showcasing special heirloom vineyards, unique terroir and micro climates found in Mendoza and Patagonia.
ABOUT THE WINE
- From two vineyards in the mountains of Uco Valley. Subsoils are generally stony/alluvial with large granite boulders.
- 100% of this wine matures in new and used French used oak barrels for 16 months.
- Potential ageing at least 10 years.
Vintage: 2018 | Wine Type: Red Wine
Varietal: 100% Cabernet Franc
Origin: Argentina | Appellation: 50% Finca Los Arbolitos, Los Chacayes, Uco Valley and 50% Campo Los Andes, Uco Valley.
Elaboration: Hand harvested and selected prior to vinification. Delivered via gravity to square concrete vessels for fermentation with indigenous yeast. Held on its skins until the cap sinks into the wine. It is then drained and gently pressed off into new and used French oak barrels for 16 months.
Winemaker: Matias Riccitelli
Nose has spice, fresh red fruit and aromatic herbs. Mouth offers persistent juicy flavors, great volume and firm tannins.
“The intensely spicy and peppery 2018 Viñedos de Montaña Cabernet Franc is an aromatic expression of the grape, where I also found floral nuances and some herbs. The flavors were pungent and penetrating, with good depth and small-grained tannins. It was produced with grapes from two different vineyards, one in Los Arbolitos in Chacayes at 1,150 meters above sea level and the other one in Campo de los Andes at some 1,300 meters in altitude. I loved the nose, and the palate was nothing short of phenomenal also, nicely textured and with serious tannins, spicy and herbal, and with a dry, austere finish.” Wine Advocate, Luis Gutierrez.
Production: 1000 cases | Alcohol: 14.5% | TA: 5.6 g/l | RS: 1.8 g/l | pH: 3.7
PRESS & POINTS
2018 – 94 Points, Tim Atkin
2018 – 94 Points, Wine Advocate
2018 – 94 Points, James Suckling
2018 – 94 Points, Patricio Tapia
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.