Opta 2015 Touriga Nacional
- Nuno Cancela de Abreu is a person whom you could call the “Elder Statesman” of winemaking in Central Portugal and he carries the torch as the fourth generation of his family to operate their estate in the foggy, cool climate hills of the Dão that sit above the village of Mortagua.
- Nuno is responsible for bringing back the white varietal of Arinto through research, trial and clonal selection – Arinto is a grape that is now celebrated as the most complex and ageworthy indigenous white in the country.
- With vineyard holdings in Alentejo now as well, Nuno splits his time between Mortagua and Lisbon each week and produces seven brands under the family name.
ABOUT THE WINE
- Amongst the Portuguese winemaking community there is more excitement around Touriga Nacional right now than any other varietal.
- Until recently nearly all of the original plantings of this grape were in the warmer southern reaches of the country, but is has been eye opening how well Touriga adapts to and expresses itself differently in various climates and exposures (it is a grape similar to Pinot Noir in this way)
- We like the way Touriga shows in this cooler climate Dão bottling, as it comes across more medium-bodied and shows an intriguing silkiness on the palate
Vintage: 2015 | Wine Type: Red Wine
Varietal: Touriga Nacional
Origin: Portugal | Appellation: Dao
Elaboration: Prefermentative cold skin contact for 2 days, followed by a 5-day fermentation with maceration with temperature control at 23ºC. Aged for 6 months in used oak barrels.
Winemaker: Nuno Cancela de Abreu
Dão is the native heartland for the red grape variety, Touriga Nacional, and this wine is a testimony of its richness and complexity. For its aromatic expression of violets, blackcurrant and cassis that lead us to a great mouth structured wine showing soft tannins and a floral and refined black fruit flavor.
PRODUCTION: 1500 CASES | ALCOHOL: 13% | TA: 6.0 G/L | RESIDUAL SUGAR: 4.0 G/L | PH: 5.5
PRESS & POINTS
Not yet rated.
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.