Mariflor 2016 Sauvignon Blanc
ABOUT THE PRODUCER
- For Michel and Dany Rolland, Mariflor is “a Place, a Wine and a Concept” that has materialized through their two decade enchantment with, and immersion in, the country of Argentina. The estate is named after their first-born daughter, Marie (“Marie-Flor”) the suffix meaning “flower” in French.
- The Mariflor vineyards cover 247 acres, of which 148 acres are so far planted to a variety of grapes: Malbec, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Merlot, Cabernet Franc as well as Pinot Noir and Sauvignon Blanc.
- The winery, “Bodega Rolland” is composed of 54 small thermos-regulated concrete vats, unique in the region, designed under the supervision of a Bordeaux specialist, and equipped to handle grapes by gravity and a battery of wooden tanks.
ABOUT THE WINE
- Grown at 3600 feet above sea level. This comes from estate vineyards on the uppermost section of the Clos de los Siete vineyard.
- The estate includes 2 ha of Sauvignon Blanc planted in 2003. Winemaking choices are dictated by the will to preserve the wine’s freshness and fruit.
Vintage: 2016 | Wine Type: White Wine
Varietal: 100% Sauvignon Blanc
Origin: Argentina | Appellation: Vista Flores, Uco Valley, Mendoza
Elaboration: Harvested by hand in small picking boxes in the morning at low temperatures. Carefully selected on two sorting belts delivered via gravity to the fermenter without the use of pumps.
Conservation: Fermented in small concrete eggs where free convection movements allow mixing of the lees and new French oak during six months.
Winemakers: Rodolfo Vallebella (Mendoza, Argentina) / Michel Rolland – Winemaker (Pomerol, Bordeaux, France)
“Mixing ripe and tropical fruits with soil, herb, and gooseberry aromas, with complexity provided by six months in new oak, which adds texture but does not really show in the nose. It reminded me of some of the more tropical vintages from Didier Dagueneau. Great!” – Wine Advocate #212.
Production: 830 cases | Alcohol: 14.2% | TA: 5.81 g/l | Residual Sugar: 1.61 g/l | pH: 3.3
PRESS & POINTS
2015 – 91 Points, Wine Advocate
2014 – 92 Points, James Suckling
2011 – 92 Points, Wine Advocate #212
2008 – 91 Points, Wine Advocate #184 “Stunning”
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.