Garage Wine 2015 Garnacha Bagual
- After about six years of making wine for an informal market of family and friends, Garage Wine Co. was featured in Chile’s El Mercurio newspaper in an article dedicated to the growing grass roots movement of small production wine making. The firm was referred to as “that Garage Wine Company” and it was too late to change the name, and time to forge an enterprise!
- Garage Wine Co. makes about a dozen different single vineyard wines per year that include mountain grown Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc from Maipo and a bevy of traditionally farmed Carignan based blends from Maule and Itata.
- Grapes are trucked to harvest in a trailer behind Derek Mossman’s trusty pickup 2,000 kilos at a time and these are “naked” Chilean wines to the core – Fermented with native yeasts, punched down manually, and raised in neutral barrels.
ABOUT THE WINE
- Bagual Vineyard sits in Caliboro and is farmed by the Solar family.
- Grapes here grow near the banks of the Perquilauqen River and as a result the soil is mostly granitic silt (unique for Maule).
- This bottling has the highest acidity of any of the winery’s Carignan blends, usually checking in barely above 3.0 pH!
Vintage: 2015 | Wine Type: Red Wine
Varietal: Carignan (70%), Garnacha (24%), Mataró (6%)
Origin: Chile | Appellation: Maule
Elaboration: Fermented naturally, caps were punched down by hand and pressing was strictly manual. The wine was barreled in neutral oak over one winters and then bottled in recycled glass. Unfined and unfiltered.
Conservation: Drink now through 2018
Winemakers: Pilar Miranda, Dr. Alvaro Peña & Derek Mossman
Brilliant ruby-red. Potent, mineral-accented raspberry, cherry liqueur and potpourri aromas are complemented by a suave Asian spice note that builds in the glass. Seamless, penetrating and appealingly sweet, offering palate-staining red and blue fruit liqueur and floral pastille flavors and an exotic flourish of five-spice powder. Finishes sappy, smooth and extremely long, displaying harmonious tannins and a lingering suggestion of candied lavender. ~Vinous
Production: 500 cases | Alcohol: 13.9% | TA: 5.5 g/l | Residual Sugar: 1.2 g/l | pH: 3.34
PRESS & POINTS
2015 – 92 Points, Robert Parker’s Wine Adovcate
2014 – 92 Points, Wine Advocate
2014 – 93 Points, James Suckling
2014 – 93 Points, Descorchados
2014 – 93 Points, Tim Atkin
2013 – 92 Points, James Suckling
2013 – 93 Points, Vinous
2013 – 91 Points, Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.