Garage Wine 2015 Carignan Truquilemu
- After about six years of making wine for an informal market of family and friends, Garage Wine Co. was featured in Chile’s El Mercurio newspaper in an article dedicated to the growing grass roots movement of small production wine making. The firm was referred to as “that Garage Wine Company” and it was too late to change the name, and time to forge an enterprise!
- Garage Wine Co. makes about a dozen different single vineyard wines per year that include mountain grown Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc from Maipo and a bevy of traditionally farmed Carignan based blends from Maule and Itata.
- Grapes are trucked to harvest in a trailer behind Derek Mossman’s trusty pickup 2,000 kilos at a time and these are “naked” Chilean wines to the core – Fermented with native yeasts, punched down manually, and raised in neutral barrels.
ABOUT THE WINE
- Truquilemu is the coldest corner of the Maule where red grapes are still able to ripen.
- This site sits on Chile’s Coastal Range (much older and slower to cool than the Andes), thus sub-soils have cracked granite beneath that allow roots to get deep into cracks and deep rooting is the key to interesting Carignan.
- Ancestral farming by hand and horse.
- A portion of the grapes harvested were lightly foot trodden rather than crushed/destemmed, providing floral lift and added tannin.
Vintage: 2015 | Wine Type: Red Wine
Varietal: Carignan (94%), Mataró(6%)
Origin: Chile | Appellation: Maule
Elaboration: Fermented naturally, caps were punched down by hand and pressing was strictly manual. The wine was barreled in neutral oak over one winters and then bottled in recycled glass.Unfined and unfiltered.
Conservation: Drink now through 2018
Winemakers: Pilar Miranda, Dr. Alvaro Peña & Derek Mossman
“The Carignan with smidgens of Mataró and País in the field blend bottled as 2014 Truquilemu Vineyard comes from an old dry-farmed vineyard belonging to the Orellana family in the cooler Empedrado zone in Maule. Mossman describes this as “Understated and layered—driven by florality & finesse.” The wines never have any impact from the élevage and tend to have moderate alcohol and very good acidity and freshness. This is no exception. It has incredible freshness with notes of blood orange peel and wild herbs—floral, insinuating, harmonious and elegant. The palate is elegant and shows vibrant acidity, is super balanced and incredibly tasty.” ~Wine Advocate
Production: 500 cases | Alcohol: 13.9% | TA: 6.75 g/l | Residual Sugar: 1.99 g/l | pH: 3.31
PRESS & POINTS
2015 – 94 Points, Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate
2014 – 95 Points, Wine Advocate
2014 – 93 Points, James Suckling
2014 – 95 Points, Descorchados
2013 – 93 Points, Vinous
2013 – 94 Points, Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate
2013 – 94 Points, James Suckling
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.