Garage Wine 2016 Cab Sauv Renacido
- After about six years of making wine for an informal market of family and friends, Garage Wine Co. was featured in Chile’s El Mercurio newspaper in an article dedicated to the growing grass roots movement of small production wine making. The firm was referred to as “that Garage Wine Company” and it was too late to change the name, and time to forge an enterprise!
- Garage Wine Co. makes about a dozen different single vineyard wines per year that include mountain grown Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc from Maipo and a bevy of traditionally farmed Carignan based blends from Maule and Itata.
- Grapes are trucked to harvest in a trailer behind Derek Mossman’s trusty pickup 2,000 kilos at a time and these are “naked” Chilean wines to the core – Fermented with native yeasts, punched down manually, and raised in neutral barrels.
ABOUT THE WINE
- Renacido Vineyard is a dry farmed site in the Maule, and one that pushes the limits in terms of latitude for Cabernet Sauvignon
- The Perquilauquen river is wide and shallow like a narrow lake and its water body lends the fruit cooler conditions. It is also very unusual for Chile because it flows from the Coastal Mountains East towards the Andes passing through Caliboro.
- Because of the strange flood plains created by a river that flows “backwards,” bridges have not been built on this section of the river and the locals must depend upon precarious “balsas,” small single car transporter commuter ferries with outboard motors. A certain disconnectedness follows and these communities are much more isolated and traditional then surrounding communities in the Maule (which are already quite isolated and traditional themselves).
- Fermented in an open top horizontal egg (think your normal concrete egg but sideways and without a lid).
- Much more savory “food-oriented” in comparison to the winery’s Maipo Cabernet Sauvignon bottling
Vintage: 2016 | Wine Type: Red Wine
Varietal: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
Origin: Chile | Appellation: Maule
Elaboration: Fermented naturally, caps were punched down by hand and pressing was strictly manual. The wine was barreled in neutral oak over one winters and then bottled in recycled glass.Unfined and unfiltered.
Conservation: Drink now through 2018
Winemakers: Pilar Miranda, Dr. Alvaro Peña & Derek Mossman
“The 2015 Renacido Vineyard is produced with fruit from dry-farmed Cabernet Sauvignon from Maule. Tasting through the Garage Wine range, it is like a roller coaster range, and there’s something unique in every wine. This one they tell me was fermented in an open top oval fermenter (like a horizontal egg, was the explanation!) and aged in used barrels for two winters. This will be released in June 2017; apparently, I’m the first journalist to taste this wine… This is their first Cabernet Sauvignon from Maule. They are releasing the wines a little bit earlier, because there is high demand for their wines. There is a red brightness in the fruit and some spicy aromas, but what’s really different here is the texture, especially when tasted next to a wine from Maipo, you notice the granite in the palate here. It’s very tasty and finishes dry. It calls for food.” – Luis Gutierrez Roberti Parker’s Wine Advocate #230
Production: 500 cases | Alcohol: 14.1% | TA: 5.36 g/l | Residual Sugar: 1.84 g/l | pH: 3.56
PRESS & POINTS
2016 – 94 Points, Wine Advocate
2015 – 95 Points, James Suckling
2015 – 92 Points, Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.