Garage Wine 2016 Cab Sauv Pirque
- After about six years of making wine for an informal market of family and friends, Garage Wine Co. was featured in Chile’s El Mercurio newspaper in an article dedicated to the growing grass roots movement of small production wine making. The firm was referred to as “that Garage Wine Company” and it was too late to change the name, and time to forge an enterprise!
- Garage Wine Co. makes about a dozen different single vineyard wines per year that include mountain grown Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc from Maipo and a bevy of traditionally farmed Carignan based blends from Maule and Itata.
- Grapes are trucked to harvest in a trailer behind Derek Mossman’s trusty pickup 2,000 kilos at a time and these are “naked” Chilean wines to the core – Fermented with native yeasts, punched down manually, and raised in neutral barrels.
ABOUT THE WINE
- San Juan de Pirque is a single vineyard parcel in the Alto Maipo Valley originally planted by William Fevre in the 1980’s via missal selection and sits in an ancient dried tributary of the Rio Clarillo. Irrigation is via classic Maipo flood technique and the farm has its own water direct from the gorge
- At 3,200 feet above the sea this vineyard is a rare example of Chilean “mountain” Cabernet Sauvignon.
- The use of native yeast and neutral barrels keeps things naked and transparent – It is rare to experience Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon of this quality without added “makeup”!
Vintage: 2016 | Wine Type: Red Wine
Varietal: Cabernet Sauvignon (93%), Cabernet Franc (7%)
Origin: Chile | Appellation: Maipo Alto
Elaboration: Fermented with native yeasts, low intervention, punch down in open top fermenters at 976 metres above the sea this vineyard an extreme example of Cab Sauv in Maipo Andes. Barrel aged over two winters in French barrels of various cooperages with two or more uses.
Conservation: Drink now through 2020
Winemakers: Derek Mossman, Pilar Miranda and Alvaro Peña
The 2014 San Juan de Pirque Vineyard is a blend of 14 barrels of Cabernet Sauvignon and one single barrel of Cabernet Franc from their Pirque vineyard in Maipo at 946 meters altitude. It follows the general approach here and was naturally fermented with native yeasts in open top fermenters with the caps punched down by hand. It aged in third use barrels over two winters. It has some sweet sensations in the nose, a little lactic hint, with herbs and spices, very Maipo, with the stones but without the mint. 4,477 bottles were filled in November 2015. Drink 2017-2027 Luis Gutierrez
Production: 330 cases | Alcohol: 14.0% | TA: 5.63 g/l | Residual Sugar: 1.84 g/l | pH: 3.56
PRESS & POINTS
2016 – 93 Points, Wine Advocate
2014 – 94 Points, James Suckling
2014 – 91 Points, Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate
2014 – 91 Points, Descorchados
2013 – 92 Points, Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate
2013 – 91 Points, Vinous
2013 – 92 Points, Wine Enthusiast
2013 – 93 Points, Descorchados
2013 – 92 Points, James Suckling
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.