Garage Wine 2016 Cab Franc Pirque
- After about six years of making wine for an informal market of family and friends, Garage Wine Co. was featured in Chile’s El Mercurio newspaper in an article dedicated to the growing grass roots movement of small production wine making. The firm was referred to as “that Garage Wine Company” and it was too late to change the name, and time to forge an enterprise!
- Garage Wine Co. makes about a dozen different single vineyard wines per year that include mountain grown Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc from Maipo and a bevy of traditionally farmed Carignan based blends from Maule and Itata.
- Grapes are trucked to harvest in a trailer behind Derek Mossman’s trusty pickup 2,000 kilos at a time and these are “naked” Chilean wines to the core – Fermented with native yeasts, punched down manually, and raised in neutral barrels.
ABOUT THE WINE
- San Juan de Pirque is a single vineyard parcel in the Alto Maipo Valley originally planted by William Fevre in the 1980’s.
- At 3,200 feet above the sea this vineyard is a rare example of Chilean “mountain” Cabernet Franc.
- The use of native yeast and neutral barrels keeps things naked and transparent – It is rare to experience Chilean Cabernet Franc of this quality without added “makeup”!
Vintage: 2016 | Wine Type: Red Wine
Varietal: 100% Cabernet Franc
Origin: Chile | Appellation: Alto Maipo Valley
Elaboration: Fermented naturally, caps were punched down by hand and pressing was strictly manual. The wine was barreled in neutral oak over two winters and then bottled in recycled glass. Unfined and unfiltered.
Winemakers: Pilar Miranda, Dr. Alvaro Peña & Derek Mossman
“If you want to taste the difference between Maipo and Maule, compare this Cabernet Franc with the Maule release. This is denser, darker and more concentrated with plush fruit avours and sweet cassis and dark berry fruit complemented by vanilla oak.” – Tim Atkin, MW April 2017
Production: 700 cases | Alcohol: 13.9% | TA: 5.6 g/l | Residual Sugar: 2.1 g/l | pH: 3.39
PRESS & POINTS
2016 – 94 Points, Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate
2015 – 93 Points, Wine Advocate
2014 – 93 Points, Wine Advocate
2014 – 92 Points, James Suckling
2013 – 93 Points, Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate
2012 – 90 Points, Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate
2011 – 93 Points, “Best Cab Franc of Chile” – Descorchados 2014
2011 – 92 Points, Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate
2011 – 91 Points, James Suckling
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.
Out of stock