Garage Wine 2016 Cab Franc Las Higueras
- After about six years of making wine for an informal market of family and friends, Garage Wine Co. was featured in Chile’s El Mercurio newspaper in an article dedicated to the growing grass roots movement of small production wine making. The firm was referred to as “that Garage Wine Company” and it was too late to change the name, and time to forge an enterprise!
- Garage Wine Co. makes about a dozen different single vineyard wines per year that include mountain grown Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc from Maipo and a bevy of traditionally farmed Carignan based blends from Maule and Itata.
- Grapes are trucked to harvest in a trailer behind Derek Mossman’s trusty pickup 2,000 kilos at a time and these are “naked” Chilean wines to the core – Fermented with native yeasts, punched down manually, and raised in neutral barrels.
ABOUT THE WINE
- Las Higueras sits in the Caliboro zone of the Maule and is a relatively cold site for Cabernet Franc in comparison to what you normally see in Chile for this varietal
- These Cabernet Franc vines were grafted onto 100 year old Pais vines by an Italian traveler in the late eighties
- Excellent freshness and more savory tones present in comparison to the winery’s Maipo Cabernet Franc bottling which is more fruit driven
Vintage: 2016 | Wine Type: Red Wine
Varietal: 100% Cabernet Franc
Origin: Chile | Appellation: Maule
Elaboration: Fermented naturally, caps were punched down by hand and pressing was strictly manual. The wine was barreled in neutral oak over one winters and then bottled in recycled glass.Unfined and unfiltered.
Conservation: Drink now through 2018
Winemakers: Pilar Miranda, Dr. Alvaro Peña & Derek Mossman
I also got to taste the 2014 Las Higueras Vineyard bottling (marked lot #62). This vineyard in the Caliboro zone of Maule has provided a very balanced and expressive Cabernet Franc, with complexity and nuances, fine tannins and good freshness. – Luiz Gutierrez Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate #230
Production: 500 cases | Alcohol: 14.2% | TA: 5.78 g/l | Residual Sugar: 2.19 g/l | pH: 3.42
PRESS & POINTS
2015 – 92 Points, Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate
2014 – 93+ Points, Wine Advocate
2014 – 93 Points, James Suckling
2014 – 91 Points, Descorchados
2013 – 91 Points, Vinous
2013 – 92 Points, Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate
2013 – 94 Points, James Suckling
2013 – 94 Points, Tim Atkin
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.