Garage Wine 2018 Pais
- After about six years of making wine for an informal market of family and friends, Garage Wine Co. was featured in Chile’s El Mercurio newspaper in an article dedicated to the growing grass roots movement of small production wine making. The firm was referred to as “that Garage Wine Company” and it was too late to change the name, and time to forge an enterprise!
- Garage Wine Co. makes about a dozen different single vineyard wines per year that include mountain grown Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc from Maipo and a bevy of traditionally farmed Carignan based blends from Maule and Itata.
- Grapes are trucked to harvest in a trailer behind Derek Mossman’s trusty pickup 2,000 kilos at a time and these are “naked” Chilean wines to the core – Fermented with native yeasts, punched down manually, and raised in neutral barrels.
ABOUT THE WINE
- We were such believers in Pais as a unique and ‘old becomes new again’ varietal that we actually pitched in and purchased the first grapes for Derek.
- Pais (aka “Mission”) first came to Chile as raisins onboard Spanish ships in the 1600’s, and vineyards were planted from the raisin seeds to make wine for Catholic mass.
- Some of these age old vineyards have survived since colonial times and now form the background of “Pipeno,” which over the last century is to Chile what Beaujolais is to France – fresh, fruity, everyday wine for the masses.
- This example is sourced from old vines in three organically farmed Maule Valley vineyard sites.
- Winemaking is as natural as it gets in order to showcase this historical grape in the most pure context possible.
Vintage: 2018 | Wine Type: Red Wine
Varietal: 100% Pais (aka Mission, aka Pipeño)
Origin: Chile | Appellation: Secano Interior DO, Maule Valley
Elaboration: Fermented naturally, caps were punched down by hand and pressing was strictly manual. The wine was barreled in neutral oak over two winters and then bottled in recycled glass.Unfined and unfiltered.
Conservation: Drink now through 2019
Winemakers: Pilar Miranda, Dr. Alvaro Peña & Derek Mossman
“Brilliant ruby. Raspberry and cherry liqueur, Asian spices and pungent flowers on the highly perfumed nose. Juicy and seamless in texture, offering lively red fruit and spicecake flavors that show excellent clarity and tangy cut. The floral note comes back strong on a very long, penetrating finish that shows just a hint of silky tannins. This delicious, exuberant wine, which reminds me of a top-quality Beaujolais, is ridiculously easy to drink.” – Josh Reynolds, Vinous Feb. 2017
Production: 800 cases | Alcohol: 13.0% | TA: g/l | Residual Sugar: g/l | pH:
PRESS & POINTS
2017 – 92 Points, Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate
2016 – 91 Points, Wine Advocate
2015 – 90 Points, Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate
2015 – 90 Points, Vinous
2015 – 91 Points, James Suckling
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.