Fernandez Gomez 2016 Garnacha Blanca
About the Producer
- Carlos Fernandez and his brothers produce Tempranillo and Garnacha that is zesty and lively, with tremendous energy and lifted aromatics.
- Bordered by the River Ebro on the South and the towering Cantabria mountains on the North, the Rioja Alavesa region is home to the vineyards owned by family
Fernandez Gomez, the majority of which are 80+ years old.
- Located in the Jewish quarter of Labastida, the winery and family home are composed of four houses. In the earth beneath them exists a framework of four different caves dating back to the 1400s, an excellent space for the cellaring of the wines.
About the Wine
- Just as they did when looking for suitable vineyard locations for their Garnacha Roja, Carlos and his brothers sought out higher elevation properties to plant Garnacha Blanca in order to produce a wine with freshness and laser like focus (they feel that most of the Garnacha Blanca made in Spain is overly ripe).
- The grapes for this Garnacha Blanca come from three vineyards situated at 1500 feet in elevation. Two located just outside Labastida and the third vineyard located in the small town of Villava.
Vintage: 2016 | Wine Type: White Wine
Origin: Spain | Appellation: D.O. Rioja
Elaboration: Hand picked and harvested the 22nd and 23rd of October, 2011, full cluster press. 50% fermented in concrete eggs and
50% fermented in French oak barrel. Aged for one year in used French oak barrels. 10% malolactic fermentation.
Winemaker: Carlos Fernandez
“This Garnacha Blanca shows rustic, cidery aromas, it displays a balanced, layered, round palate with vital acidity. Salty, savory peach and apple
flavors are true to white Garnacha, while a long, salty finish is full of energy.” ~Wine Enthusiast
Production: 1,000 cases | Alcohol: 14.0% | TA: 5.17 g/l |Residual Sugar: 1.5 g/l |
Press & Points
89 Points, Wine Enthusiast
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.