Chateau de Villeneuve 2016 Saumur-Champigny Cabernet Franc
- A reference point for top-level Saumur Champigny, Chateau de Villeneuve has been continuously producing wine since 1577, with elevage taking place in the labyrinth of tunnels that wind underneath the spectacular romanesque church, castle, and walled vineyard that define this historic property.
- Jean-Pierre Chevallier is a 4th generation winegrower. He grew up a few miles down the river from the winery in the village Dampierre-sur-Loire, where his parents were highly regarded winegrowers. Jean-Pierre’s parents purchased Chateau de Villeneuve in 1969, when he was 14 years old, moving the
family into the domain and making it the base of their wine-growing efforts.
- In total, Chateau de Villeneuve’s holdings cover 60 ares of vineyards that sit on a limestone plateau overlooking the Loire above the village of Souzay. This is the most prime section of the appellation.
- Farming and winemaking has been certified organic since 2011. Jean-Pierre is allergic to sulfites and for this reason SO2 use is very limited (less than 20g/L at time of release).
- Jean-Pierre is training his two daughters (both in their twenties now) to eventually take over all operations – This is a family producer with a future as bright as its storied past.
About the Wine
- Terrific exposure, combined with lowest in the appellation yields and natural farming, make for unusually intense fruit material in a basic Samur Champigny AOC wine – For this reason Jean-Pierre does very little in the way of remontage (remontage takes place only three times in total!!!), a situation
that further distinguishes this wine by keeping the tannins unusually silky.
- This bottling makes up about 80% of the winery’s production and is a well-known by-the-glass benchmark in serious restaurants throughout France.
Vintage: 2016 | Wine Type: Red
Varietal: 100% Cabernet France
Origin: France | Appellation: Loire Valley, Samur-Champigny
Elaboration: Entirely handpicked in the morning, brought to the winery on the estate where it is sorted, destemmed and delivered to tank with gravity. No Saignée. Fermented in stainless steel with native yeast and punched down once per day. After it is finished fermenting, 40% is kept in stainless steel, 30% is moved to new oak and 30% to second use French oak barrels.
Winemaker: Jean-Pierre Chevallier
A vibrant Cabernet Franc with bright varietal notes, bursting with ripe fruit and acidity.
Production: 1000 cases | Alcohol: 12.9% | TA: 3.17 g/l | RS: .3 g/l | pH: 3.62
Press & Points
2016 – 90 Points, Enobytes
“The divas of the Loire Valley” – Revue Papille Sept/Oct, 2012
“Jean-Pierre Chevallier, owner of the Château de Villeneuve, made the leap early as an oenologist. He was born from an old family of winegrowers and is
renowned for the quality of his wines” – Télérama Oct, 2011
“Jean-Pierre Chevallier is always pushing the boundaries for a winegrower and is anxious to do well. He is one of those winegrowers that we appreciate,
and he is a recognized figure of the appellation.”– LeRouge & LeBlanc Dec-Feb, 2011
2011 Château de Villeneuve, Le Grand Clos, Saumur-Champigny – 95 points, Decanter Magazine. “Top Loire Cabernet Franc”
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.