Allegria 2015 Carignan Gourmand
- Eight years ago Ghislain and Delphine d’Aboville found paradise on the southern slope of Les Baumes, an extinct volcano overlooking the Haut Languedoc town of Pezenas. This windy site called out to them as ideally suited to the production of interesting wines and more importantly as a rural location perfect for raising their tight-knit family of seven. The couple partnered with friend and mentor Roberto de la Mota (of Cheval des Andes and Mendel fame) when purchasing the property, and Roberto continues to lend his wisdom with each vintage.
- This is one of only three locations in France with a high proportion of basalt soil, the other two being the Grand Cru of Rangen in Alsace and Clermont Ferrand in Auvergne. The second primary component of the soil here is quartz river rock, a soil type made famous in Chateauneuf-du-Pape. The quartz here comes from the same source as that in Chateauneuf, but is jagged rather than rounded due to it not having traveled as far.
- In total the property is comprised of 23 acres and divided into four vineyard blocks. Each vineyard block is used for one specific wine the family produces. All vines are certified organic and this was the region’s first winery principled on ecological design and process.
- Grapes are fermented in unlined concrete vessels that were custom designed to accommodate manual pigeage, which still eight years in is a favorite after-school activity for all of their kids (they strap the kids into climbing harnesses that are roped to a bar overhead and let them go wild)
- Allegria means “joy” in the local language Occitan!
ABOUT THE WINE
- Sourced from a tiny parcel of old vine carignan planted the most mineral rich site on this already mineral rich property
- Intentionally fermented, aged, and bottled as a single varietal as the d’Aboville family is passionate about this often overlooked grape.
- This is not fermented with carbonic maceration (which is the norm in Languedoc for Carignan).
- Neutral barrels keep flavors pure and transparent.
Vintage: 2015 | Wine Type: Red
Varietal: 100% Carignan
Origin: France | Appellation: IGP Pays de Caux
Elaboration: Organically farmed grapes. Fermented in concrete and aged in used Tanosaud barrels for 15 months.
Winemaker: Ghislain d’Aboville and Roberto de la Mota
“Medium ruby with a purple hue. The nose is floral with primary fruit, dark berries and a supple palate, juicy and round, with a good grip and young but ripe tannin, long and fresh finish, appealing fruit and spiciness.”
– Andreas Larsson, Master Sommelier.
Production: 250 cases | Alcohol: 14% | TA: g/l | RS: .3 g/l | pH: 3.58
PRESS & POINTS
2015 – 90 Points, WineX
Having trouble finding our wines in your area? Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine below.