- Long a favorite in Paris and London, Chateau Fourcas Dupre is turning out some of the finest sub-$35 bottles in Medoc these days.
- Proprietor Patrice Pages has changed almost nothing in terms of farming and winemaking since taking over this historic estate from his father (the inimitable Guy Pages) thirty years ago, and we love him for that. Enthusiasts of classical Bordeaux and time travelers alike will find a confidant inside the stone walls of Fourcas Dupre.
- Patrice's vineyard is an anomaly in the context of Listrac-Medoc, as the soil is 80% Pyrenean gravel mixed with clay and limestone- For this reason it is common for professionals to mistake Fourcas Dupre as something out of Margaux when tasting blind due to the definitive presence of mineral and earth tones that make it into the finished wines here.
About the Wine
- Hautes Terres, (or "High Ground" in English) is a special Cuvée from the estate which includes 80% of Merlot and 20% Cabernet Sauvignon. This is rare in Médoc whose wines are generally dominated by Cabernet Sauvignon.
- A fruity and savory wine. The winemaking and the special aging, made with respect of the terroir, keep the natural earthiness and complexity of the wine intact. This combination of “fruit” and “minerality” in a wine is unique on the market.
- The distribution of Hautes Terres from Château Fourcas Dupré is strictly controlled by the estate in order to maintain transparency in the distribution of the wines in every market. This is very rare in Bordeaux.
Vintage: 2011 | Wine Type: Red Wine
Varietal: 80% Merlot / 20% Cabernet Sauvignon
Origin: France | Appellation: Listrac Medoc
Elaboration: Harvest on this vintage began Sept. 16th, 2011. Grapes are hand picked and placed in 1/2 ton bins for delivery to the winery. Grapes are fermented with native yeast in concrete vats then partially transferred to barrels.
Conservation: 50% aged in tank and 50% aged in first and second use French oak barrels for 1 year.
Winemaker: Eric Boissenot and Patrice Pagés
Deliciously supple, with smouldering tobacco weaving around crushed plum and steeped black cherry fruit flavors. Singed sandalwood and Earl Grey tea fill in on the stylish finish.
Production: 2,900 cases | Alcohol: 12.63% | TA: 3.3 g/l | Residual Sugar: 2.70 g/l | pH: 3.73
Press & Points
Gold Medal from the guide GILBERT & GAILLARD (France)
"Best Value" - China Wine & Spirits Award
TECH SHEET PDF
Having trouble finding our wines in your area?
Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine