- A reference point for top-level Saumur Champigny, Chateau de Villeneuve has been continuously producing wine since 1577, with elevage taking place
in the labyrinth of tunnels that wind underneath the spectacular romanesque church, castle, and walled vineyard that define this historic property..
- Jean-Pierre Chevallier is a 4th generation winegrower. He grew up a few miles down the river from the winery in the village Dampierre-sur-Loire, where
his parents were highly regarded winegrowers. Jean-Pierre’s parents purchased Chateau de Villeneuve in 1969, when he was 14 years old, moving the
family into the domain and making it the base of their wine-growing efforts.
- In total, Chateau de Villeneuve's holdings cover 60 ares of vineyards that sit on a limestone plateau overlooking the Loire above the village of Souzay.
This is the most prime section of the appellation.
- Farming and winemaking has been certified organic since 2011. Jean-Pierre is allergic to sulfites and for this reason SO2 use is very limited (less
than 20g/L at time of release).
- Jean-Pierre is training his two daughters (both in their twenties now) to eventually take over all operations - This is a family producer with a future
as bright as its storied past.
About the Wine
- Buyers looking for naturally vinted Loire Chenin Blanc that screams with mineral flavor should look no further than this, which is Jean-Pierre Chevalier’s
main white bottling.
- A proportion of the fruit in this cuvee comes from the remarkable Clos of “Cormieres."
- This is a bone dry example of Saumur blanc with massive natural acidity - It marries perfectly with the cuisine of the region, which is characteristically
high in fat even by French standards.
Vintage: 2016 | Wine Type: White
Varietal: 100% Chenin Blanc
Origin: France | Appellation: Loire Valley, Samur
Elaboration: Entirely handpicked in the morning, brought to the winery on the estate where it is sorted, pressed and delivered to
tank with gravity. Fermented in new French oak with native yeast and maintained in contact with its lees. After it is finished fermenting, 40% is kept
in stainless steel, 30% is moved to new oak and 30% to second use French oak barrels.
Winemaker: Jean-Pierre Chevallier
A bright, clean, and somewhat austere Chenin Blanc somewhat like a fine Chablis with high-tone acid and minerality.
Production: 1000 cases | Alcohol: 12.3% | TA: 4.67 g/l | RS: .3 g/l
| pH: 3.17
Press & Points
“The divas of the Loire Valley” - Revue Papille Sept/Oct, 2012
“Jean-Pierre Chevallier, owner of the Château de Villeneuve, made the leap early as an oenologist. He was born from an old family of winegrowers and is
renowned for the quality of his wines” - Télérama Oct, 2011
“Jean-Pierre Chevallier is always pushing the boundaries for a winegrower and is anxious to do well. He is one of those winegrowers that we appreciate,
and he is a recognized figure of the appellation."- LeRouge & LeBlanc Dec-Feb, 2011
2011 Château de Villeneuve, Le Grand Clos, Saumur-Champigny - 95 points, Decanter Magazine. “Top Loire Cabernet Franc”
TECH SHEET PDF
Having trouble finding our wines in your area?
Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine