- After about six years of making wine for an informal market of family and friends, Garage Wine Co. was featured in Chile’s El Mercurio newspaper in
an article dedicated to the growing grass roots movement of small production wine making. The firm was referred to as “that Garage Wine Company”
and it was too late to change the name, and time to forge an enterprise!
- Garage Wine Co. makes about a dozen different single vineyard wines per year that include mountain grown Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc from
Maipo and a bevy of traditionally farmed Carignan based blends from Maule and Itata.
- Grapes are trucked to harvest in a trailer behind Derek Mossman's trusty pickup 2,000 kilos at a time and these are "naked" Chilean wines to the core
- Fermented with native yeasts, punched down manually, and raised in neutral barrels.
About the Wine
- Sauzal Vineyard is farmed by Derek's close friend Nivaldo Morales.
- This site sits on Chile's Coastal Range (much older and slower to cool than the Andes), thus sub-soils have cracked granite beneath that allow roots
to get deep into cracks and deep rooting is the key to interesting Carignan.
- Ancestral farming by hand and horse.
- A portion of the grapes in this cuvee were kept with whole stems and stomped by feet, resulting in firmer tannins.
- Each year this ends up the winery's most "powerful" Carignan blend.
Vintage: 2014 | Wine Type: Red Wine
Varietal: Carignan (50%), Garnacha, (37%), Mataró (13%)
Origin: Chile | Appellation: Maule
Elaboration: Fermented naturally in open-top. Caps were punched down by hand and pressing was strictly manual. The wine was barreled
in neutral oak over two winters and then bottled in recycled bottles.
Conservation: Drink now through 2020.
Winemaker: Derek Mossman, Pilar Miranda and Dr. Alvaro Peña
The nose is fresh and has tantalizing aromas of blueberries, violets, orange peel, raspberry leaf and aniseed with a touch of aromatic herbs that provide
freshness. The palate is electric, with citric acidity, ultra-fine tannins and very good length. This is both rustic and elegant, wild
and subtle. None of these wines show any alcohol or wood. This is a superb, fresh, Mediterranean blend that shows what the Maule is capable
of." ~ Robert Parker's Wine Advocate.
Production: 275 cases | Alcohol: 13.2% | TA: 6.7 g/l | Residual Sugar: 1.34 g/l
| pH: 3.15
Press & Points
2014 - 93 Points, Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
2014 - 93 Points, James Suckling
2014 - 95 Points, Descorchados
2014 - 91 Points, Tim Atkin
2013 - 93 Points, Wine Advocate
2013 - 91 Points, James Suckling
TECH SHEET PDF
Having trouble finding our wines in your area?
Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine