- After about six years of making wine for an informal market of family and friends, Garage Wine Co. was featured in Chile’s El Mercurio newspaper in
an article dedicated to the growing grass roots movement of small production wine making. The firm was referred to as “that Garage Wine Company”
and it was too late to change the name, and time to forge an enterprise!
- Garage Wine Co. makes about a dozen different single vineyard wines per year that include mountain grown Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc from
Maipo and a bevy of traditionally farmed Carignan based blends from Maule and Itata.
- Grapes are trucked to harvest in a trailer behind Derek Mossman's trusty pickup 2,000 kilos at a time and these are "naked" Chilean wines to the core
- Fermented with native yeasts, punched down manually, and raised in neutral barrels.
About the Wine
- One of the primary grapes in France’s Languedoc region, Cinsault is valued for its ability to make stylish, early release wines with low acid and supple
- Small amounts of Cinsault were brought to Chile via missionaries in the 1600’s in order to produce wine for Catholic mass.
- Garage Wine Co has experimented with Cinsault for a number of years, and this first “official” release comes from a handful of vineyard sites in and
around Portezeulo and Guarilihue in Itata.
Vintage: 2017 | Wine Type: Red Wine
Varietal: 100% Cinsault
Origin: Chile | Appellation: Itata
Elaboration: Fermented naturally, caps were punched down by hand and pressing was strictly manual. The wine was barreled in neutral
oak over one winters and then bottled in recycled glass.Unfined and unfiltered.
Conservation: Drink now through 2018
Winemakers: Pilar Miranda, Dr. Alvaro Peña & Derek Mossman
Bright and vibrant on the palate, with rose petal aromas resonating through red and blue fruits, a variety of baking spices and a hint of turned earth
Production: 500 cases | Alcohol: 14.4% | TA: 5.7 g/l | Residual Sugar: 1.9 g/l |
Press & Points
2017 - 92 Points, Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
2015 - 90 Points, Wine Advocate
2015 - 91 Points, James Suckling
TECH SHEET PDF
Having trouble finding our wines in your area?
Send us an inquiry where to find it or purchase this wine